Black circles spinning

Miranda Lambert - Kerosene (Epic, 2005)



You may remember that all-american girl next door Miranda Lambert figured in my countdown of last years best releases. Well, now I have finally snapped up the album she released before that one. I am not disapointed to say the least. Kerosene could even be a little bit better than Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It may lack the hits, but the songs are scaringly good. Especially "What About Georgia?", "Greyhound Bound for Nowhere" and "Mama, I'm Alright". Check it out folks. Nashville still produces some gems. By the way, the bonustrack "California" is a sundrenched classic.


Band of Horses - No One's Gonna Love You b/w Am I A Good Man (Sub Pop, 2007)




This 7" single has been on heavy rotation on my turntable for awhile now. And it's not only because of the beautiful a-side taken from last years Cease to Begin album. It is actually most because of the b-side, "Am I A Good Man". The song is a cover of an old obscure soul song written by Willie Clarke and Clarence Reid originally performed by Them Two. The original can be found on Numerogroups Eccentric Soul Compilation vol. 6: The Deep City Label. Band of Horses rendition is taken from a live performance on KEXP from last years CMJ at the Gibson New York Showroom.


Wooden Shjips - Wooden Shjips (Holy Mountain, 2007)



Wooden Shjips selftitled album was released last year and should have been featured in my countdown of last years best records. I just didn't know better, so I bought it first now. They are a San Francisco band and make music in the same vein as Comets on Fire, Howlin' Rain, Six Organs of Admittance, Brightblack Morning Light and Badgerlore. Yeah, you guessed right. Psychedelia for the new millennium. They sound like they made the record in the late sixties with their psych/drone sound. A little bit of the Doors, some Velvet Underground and some kraut. Equally as good for saturday nights as it is for sunday mornings.

Comments