Top ten Bruce Springsteen songs

8. Badlands
Taken from the album "Darkness on the Edge of Town" (Columbia, 1978)



Now we're talking, huh? It's anthem time. Springsteen's last album, Born to Run (1975), took it's toll. The album was followed by both success and lawsuits. The optimism we saw it that album's characters was all gone by the recording of Darkness on the Edge of Town. "Badlands", being the album opener sat the mood right from the start. Our hero is angry. You can hear it both in the lyrics and in the breakneck speed that the song is played. The song grabs you by the throat at Max Weinberg's first movement of his drumsticks and it doesn't let go until the song is over.

The lyrics are simply stunning. The story of an underdog who wants to break out and break free. Springsteen is just spitting out the words. Fantastic.

He's had enough.

"Lights out tonight
trouble in the heartland
Got a head-on collision
smashin' in my guts, man
I'm caught in a cross fire
that I don't understand
But there's one thing I know for sure girl
I don't give a damn.."

This is what he's had enough of.

"You better get it straight darling
Poor man wanna be rich,
rich man wanna be king
And a king ain't satisfied
till he rules everything.."

What he believes in.

"Well I believe in the love that you gave me
I believe in the faith that could save me
I believe in the hope.."

And at last som hope, and release of the tension. You can raise your fist now.

"For the ones who had a notion,
a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin
to be glad you're alive
I wanna find one face
that ain't looking through me
I wanna find one place,
I wanna spit in the face of these badlands"



listen:
Bruce Springsteen - Badlands


Found at skreemr.com

Comments

scutter said…
will keep reading this thread to see where we land at number one...it is clear that the author here knows that its not about the hits or the most popular tunes but about the emotion that comes forth...thus..i predict thunder road will be his number one when ultimately revealed

scutters trouble