Yes, and Jane came by with a lock of your hair..

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
Songs of Love and Hate (Columbia, 1970)



This song makes me long for New York. At least the New York of my mind. The New York that are in black and white, it's always night and the streets are wet from the rain. It's autumn or winter and the mood is almost always melancholly. Like a scene from an old film noir or maybe one of those legendary photos that grace the Blue Note jazz albums. Or maybe just picturing Leonard Cohen hunched over a typewriter at the Chelsea Hotel.

"It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening."



"Sincerly yours, L. Cohen"

Comments