Dylan - the poet

Bob Dylan - Mr. Tambourine Man
from the album Bringing It All Back Home (Columbia, 1965)


One of Dylan's most familiar songs for most people. Made famous by the high flying Byrds. This is not my favourite Dylan song, I like it though, it has a great melody and it's catchy as hell. That said, the reason I have really really fallen in love with this song lately is that I've finally opened my ears to the lyrics and that's the reason for this post. Bob Dylan is one of the finest poets walking this planet and this is just one of his zillion great lyrics.

"..yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
with all the memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
let me forget about today until tomorrow.."

Comments