Heartworn Highways presents:

Heartworn Highways: Recorded in Muscle Shoals Vol. 1










I've always been fascinated by the "sound" of Muscle Shoals. This small city in Alabama has grown to mytical proportions in my mind and has a life of its own in my fantasies. When I have listened to soul music I have almost always been drawn to what you would call southern soul. It probably started with Otis Redding and James Carr. Both artist often recorded in Memphis, Tennessee. Stax had their recordings done in Memphis with stellar backing by Booker T. Jones and his MGs.

So Memphis and Stax may have been the big brother, but somehow I started hearing more and more about Muscle Shoals and the legendary rhythm section called The Swampers. I probably first heard of The Swampers in Lynyrd Skynyrds "Sweet Home Alabama", like so many others. Then my interest in The Allman Brothers and Duane Allman grew, and he used to work on sessions in Muscle Shoals with The Swampers. Also, The Rolling Stones recorded "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" in Muscle Shoals. My fascination with the place grew, and here we are with the first Heartworn Highways mix in a long long time.

Hope y'all like it.

Heartworn Highways: Recorded in Muscle Shoals Vol. 1 (2011)

1. Lonnie Mack - Asphalt Outlaw Hero
(from The Hills of Indiana, Elektra, 1971)

2. Ronee Blakely - American Beauty
(from Welcome, Warner Brothers, 1975)

3. Paul Simon - Kodachrome
(from There Goes Rhymin' Simon, Columbia, 1973)

4 . James & Bobby Purify - She Ain't Gonna Do Right
(recorded in 1966, released by Sundazed, 2000)

5. Luther Ingram - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
(from single, Ko Ko 2111, 1972)

6. Linda Ronstadt - I Won't Be Hangin' Round
(from Linda Ronstadt, Captitol, 1972)

7. Willie Nelson - Pretend I Never Happened
(from Phases & Stages, Atlantic, 1974)

8. Maurice & Mac - You Left The Water Running
(from single, Checker 1197, 1968)

9. Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude
(from Hey Jude, Atlantic, 1968)

10. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
(from I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You, Atlantic, 1967)

11. Eddie Hinton - Dangerous Highway
(from Dear Y'all: The Songwriting Sessions, Zane, 2000)

12. Cher - I Walk On Guilded Splinters
(from 3614 Jackson Highway, ATCO, 1969)

13. Candi Staton - Another Man's Woman, Another Woman's Man
(from I'm Just A Prisoner, FAME, 1970)

14. Cowboy - Please Be With Me
(from 5'll Getcha Ten, Capricorn, 1971)


*The mix is no longer available for download, but go out and buy this music*

Comments