This years best albums countdown

# 11. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (Polyvinyl Record Co.)

Maybe the funniest album on this countdown. Not just funny words, but funny music, at least music that are fun. The album also got this years second best coverart (the best one will feature a little higher on this countdown). Enough about that already. The fact is that in my humble opinion this is the best music Kevin Barnes to this date has recorded and released. Yeah, both Satanic Panic and Sunlandic Twins are great albums, but still I think this goes away with the price. Especially if we take in the concideration the bonus ep Icons, Abstract Thee who came a little later this year. That ep is a companion piece to the album and if you buy the album on vinyl those songs from the ep actually is on the album. Some of my favourite lyrics this year also hails from this album. What do you all think of lines like ".. spent the winter on the verge of a total break-down while living in norway. I felt the darkness of the black metal bands, but being such a fawn of a man I didn't burn down any old churches just slept way too much.." from "A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger" or the bitter "..there's the girl that left me bitter, want to pay some other girl to just walk up to her and hit her, but i can't, i can't, i can't.." from "She's A Rejector". Hissing Fauna is a fantastic upbeat record that inspite of it's dark and somewhat dense lyrics still can't stop me from getting a big bright smile on my face. The song "The Past is a Grotesque Animal" probably is this years best psych-rock workout. And the best thing about this album is that the guy in fact got the girl in the end. I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Comments