Last years best albums countdown

# 7. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (Merge)

Did I hear anyone say Bruce Springsteen? Well, I'm sorry, but it just has to be said. This is the best Bruce Springsteen album since the late seventies. Don't think I'm being disrespectful to Arcade Fire now, 'cause I just simply love them. And I love my Neon Bible. I even feel a little bit disapointed in myself for not having them higher on this countdown. Neon Bible must be one of the best second albums in the history of music. It continues what they started with their debut Funeral. Everything is just darker, bigger and maybe even better. (In a constant battle with myself over that last remark).

"Black Mirror" is the first song on Neon Bible and it sets the tone from the very begining. You just know that this is going to be great. Then the band even manages to take it up a notch on the second song "Keep the Car Running" before taking it down a notch or two for the title song "Neon Bible". If you have seen or read Nick Hornby's book High Fidelity you may recognize that this is the way the book's antihero Rob Gordon says that the perfect compilation is made. Not that I'm saying that that's the only way to make a good record, but it's not a terrible way to start of a record either. The next song is "Intervention" which is my favourite on the record. I don't know why really, but it's the song on Neon Bible who sounds most like the songs from the last album Funeral. That could be it, but I'm not sure. A great song none the less.

My favourite lyrics on the album are those of the song "(Antichrist Television Blues)" which in my opionion just sound like a stream of conciousness of Win Butler's thoughts about the USA after 9/11. The song is also the greatest Springsteen pastische ever recorded. It wouldn't have been out of place on Springsteens Nebraska album from 1982. The live-performances of the song are even better with the introduction on the tv-screens with one of these TV-evangelists. It just scares me, plain and simple.

Other great songs are the previously released "No Cars Go" and "Windowsill". Well, I like every song on the album, but if I had to pick some, you now.

I also recomend you to search up the Calexico cover of "Ocean of Noise". Starkingly beautiful. It's released on the "Intervention" seven inch single.

Comments