Top ten Bruce Springsteen songs

10. New York City Serenade
Taken from the album "The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle" (Columbia, 1973)



A strange song to have in a countdown of Bruce Springsteen's ten best songs you might think, and even say, but what the heck. It's my list after all. The secret behind this list is that it's not something that I've come up with now. This lists actually dates back a couple of years, so they reflect which songs I thought was best at that exact period in my life. That said, I still think these songs that I will be writing about in this countdown may be the ten best Springsteen songs.

"New York City Serenade" is an outsider of a song really. It is still one of Springsteen's longest and most epic songs, at least musically. It is the perfect closer for the eclectic second album The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle. An album who as it's predecessor was critically acclaimed but failed commercially. I see the song as a sign of what to come. It is largely built around a theme played on a piano. Which is what comes out in full bloom on the next album, 1975's breakthrough album Born to Run.

It's hard to explain what it is about "New York City Serenade" that's so appealing to me, it just takes me away to a whole other place - and it must be the music who does it because lyrically it isn't all that. It just has that New York City feeling. A tale of three different New York characters and if you wanna do something in that city you've got to be tough. So get lost in the music and the picture underneath.

"It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute
It's a mad dog's promenade
So walk tall, baby, or don't walk at all"



now listen:

Bruce Springsteen - New York City Serenade


Found at skreemr.com

Comments