Seven songs shaping this autumn

Tag, I'm it. Got taged by the fantastic folks over at When You Awake for this thing which is a kind of blog chain letter called the “Seven Songs Shaping Your Life”. The instructions are simple: List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your life. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.

I'm not sure if I will be "tagging" as many as seven other people, but we'll see. A good idea it is, and here I go.



1. The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
No news for the people who read this blog that I really love this song. I love the whole album, but as this is the first song it is the one I have to get past to get to the others. I especially love the "..shape I'm in" lyrical hook that reminds me of one of my favourite bands, the truly fantastic The Band.

2. Grateful Dead - Bird Song
You're always gonna need some Grateful Dead in your life and for the moment I have been really hooked on this great jazzy ditty. The studio recording is great but recently I've been hooked on a live version from August 27th, 1972. Go check it out on archive.org.

3. Kristofer Åström - When Her Eyes Turn Blue
Kristofer Åström have been one of my favourite artists for a long time. I haven't really gotten my head around his latest album Sinkadus, but this is nonetheless a favourite from that very album.

4. Jens Carelius - Face of a Dream
A track taken from Norwegian singer/songwriter Jens Carelius second album The Beat of the Travel. His first album was mostly a solo recording rooted in British folkers like Bert Jansch. This one has more of a band feeling and while we are still in the sixties folkrock landscape Carelius has found his own voice.

5. Hoola Bandola Band - Keops Pyramid
Swedish folkrock from the early seventies. Sounding a bit like the Band meet Crosby, Stills & Nash. Great song with great harmonies and heavy early seventies politics. These guys looked exactly like you presume the teachers in the schools in the seventies did.

6. Broder Daniel - Shoreline
Just saw a heartbreaking documentary about this Swedish rockband. One of the most important rockbands in the whole of scandinavia in nineties. This song is from their last and perhaps best album, released in 2003.

7. Devendra Banhart - Baby
Good ol' friend Devendra is back with another great album. An album perfect for lazy dark Norwegian autumn nights. Play this loud and all your troubles will be gone.

So, it seems that I listen to a lot of Swedish music at the moment. But mostly I listen to the Avett Brothers, Jens Carelius and Devendra Banhart albums. Check them out, maybe you'll like them to.

I tag:
You Can Put Me In Your Hair, I'll Be Happy There
Perfect Sounds
Lille Fnugg
I am Fuel, You are Friends
This Mornin' I am Born Again

Comments

catharina said…
hei! jeg vet faktisk ikke helt hvordan jeg kom over bloggen din, men jeg leser den nå hvertfall. jevnlig. lurer på om jeg jobbet med deg en stakket stund på platekompaniet for to år siden ca. jeg jobbet der bare litt. anyways. min blogg: knaggmusikk.blogspot.com

og ja, jeg liker det du skriver! :)