2009: The round up.

#18. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
(Sister's Den/Memphis Industries, 2009)


A band that I had heard good things about and read some raving reviews of, so when I came over this album when I was in London I just knew I had to pick it up. Even though I hadn't heard a single note of their music I took a chance on them. That was a deciscion that I am very pleased with now. Why There Are Mountains is one of these albums that sounds great the first time through and even better the next time. Natural comparisons to nineties indie bands like Pavement, Built to Spill, Modest Mouse and the Wrens makes sense, but Cymbals Eat Guitars has their own thing going. They are in no way copyists, they only wear some of their inspirations on their sleeves.

One of 2009's best debuts come from Cymbals Eat Guitars, be sure to check them out.

Comments