Albums of the year 2010.

# 11. The National - High Violet
(4AD, May 10th 2010)



Ohio-band The National are now living in the New York area. Their last couple efforts has been written and recorded while they where living in Brooklyn. In this album you can hear in Matt Berninger's lyrics that he has moved out of the city.

The band's songs are both quite dark and uplifting at the same time. Often built around an almost krautrock-drone the melodies builds and builds to climaxes of sheer beauty. Lyrics also plays a big role in The National's songs, melancholy lyrics about life which almost could have been whole novels.

The song "Sorrow" is utter brilliance.

"Sorrow found me when I was young,
Sorrow waited, sorrow won.
Sorrow that put me on the pills,
It's in my honey, it's in my milk.
Don't leave my hyper heart alone
On the water,
Cover me in rag and bones, sympathy.
Cause I don't wanna get over you.
I don't wanna get over you."

Moments like that one are all over the album. High Violet is the band's third masterpiece in a row and although maybe Alligator or The Boxer are a tiny bit better than this one that is a list that changes from day to day for me. Right now nothing can push this album from the top.

The National - a reflective, sensible Joy Division for the grown-ups. Lots of angst and despair here.



The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio

Comments