John Cale | Child's Christmas in Wales

illustration from Dylan Thomas - A Child's Christmas in Wales by Trina Schart Hyman

I have to admit that I've never been a huge fan of John Cale, but I do admire a lot of his work. I am mostly familiar with his work in The Velvet Underground and his production work for The Stooges. The only solo-album I've really sunken my teeth into is Paris 1919 from 1973. An album that I must admit surprised me the first time I heard it. Is this John Cale? The same guy who plays this out of tune avant-garde viola on the first couple of Velvets albums? It was then I understood that there was a lot more to this guy that I had originally thought. That said, I still haven't really explored his solo-material. Paris 1919 is so good that I kind of just left it with that.

The opening track Child's Christmas in Wales shares it's title with a short story by Dylan Thomas which I've finally gotten around to reading this year. Though they don't share any more than the title and a lyrical hint in the second verse they are both brilliant examples of fine art. From Wales. About Christmas. Sort of.



Comments